Podclass is a free online network for video podcast producers who are in the educational space. And by educational I'm not talking about schools... I am talking about anyone who has something to teach. Want tips on how to stay healthy? They have teachers for that. What to learn how to cook? They can teach you that too!
They describe themselves as, "the first online marketplace for the buying, selling and sharing of expertise in the form of online classes and video podcasts. With our powerful technology and easy-to-use course set-up wizard, anyone can create a class and share it with world... in a matter of minutes! And each podclass becomes a virtual community of like-minded individuals who've come together to learn, share and teach others."
To be honest, I had a hard time finding great content on the site, but that does not mean the idea is not a good one. It seems like all they might really need is an adventurous podcaster who is already creating great free content to start testing it out and using it for good. I could see this growing up to be a really powerful tool for podcast producers who create shows to educate their audiences that also require a place to collaborate online (in the form of forums, wikis, and other online tools).
The kinda nerdy details:
- You setup courses with modules and your students can follow your course outline
- You can setup homework assignments for your students, and they can submit videos, pictures and text files for those assignments
- Each of your modules allows you to upload a video, or you can just embed the video from your host (like mevio or youtube)
- You set the price or give it away for free
- Free tools are available to create forums, wikis and more within their site
What are your thoughts? Have you tried podclass as a video producer? Contact me or leave a comment to let us know!