PDA

View Full Version : Mixer Main Outs: Can I expand without losing audio quality.

Barefoot Radio.com
Jun 21st, 2006, 08:47 AM
Does anyone know a device that would split the main outs from my mixer into multiple stereo outs without losing quality?

Pointing me to specific devices would be greatly appreciated.

ElNacho
Jun 21st, 2006, 10:20 AM
wait, you mean like...

1/4''L--1/4''f--1/4''f
1/4''R--^^^'--1/4''f

so, the main outs combine into 1 stereo, that splits into multiple? just a few adapters...although does that lose quality, adapters?

BrianGentry
Jun 21st, 2006, 11:37 AM
Simple splitters will do the job in most cases, as long as you don't want to split more than a few times. Something like an RCA male to dual RCA female adapter will split each of your channels into two.

How many pairs of stereo outs do you want to end up with?
What mixer do you have?
Most importantly, what are you trying to acheive with this?

Brian.

Barefoot Radio.com
Jun 22nd, 2006, 05:58 AM
I want to not only send the signal of the show out to the net on the stream, but I also want to send a separate signal to my front green room so people up there can hear the show going on.

I have a Yamaha O1V96 mixer. The main outs I need to split are a stereo Female XLR pair.

I would also like to send a stereo signal to a deck for backup recording.

My biggest concern is that if I split the signal I'll degrade the quality. I need something other than RCA. But RCA might work actually if I took the signal for the front room from the Tape Out. There's also the possibilty that I could use busing and record a mix out of the analog direct outs on this board(of which there are 4, 1 is used and I anticipate another will be when I get another phone line hooked up).

roadrageradio
Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:43 AM
I want to not only send the signal of the show out to the net on the stream, but I also want to send a separate signal to my front green room so people up there can hear the show going on.

You could use a headphone distribution amp to split your control room output and feed your green room. Here are some pro quality examples

http://www.bswusa.com/searchresult.asp?searchType=keyword&searchValue=headphone%20amplifier

I would also like to send a stereo signal to a deck for backup recording.

I've always used the tape out rca jacks for that, with an adapter cable that goes rca pair -> stereo 1/8 " plug into my recorder.

Or, if you have a spare one on your mixer, you could assign the main mix to a stereo send and connect that to the recorder, which would give you a straight shot with a TRS 1/4" stereo cable all the way.

BrianGentry
Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:51 AM
Wow, the O1V96 is a BEAST! I'm jealous.

You want two things:

1. Route the mains to the green room. You could split your main XLR outs with Y cables. I've done this in live audio and never noticed a problem, but we weren't recording at the time. You could also just use your monitor outs, which are balanced 1/4" connectors. That is a good thing because they'll work well for a long run. It might not be a good thing if the amplifier you are feeding doesn't have 1/4" ins. If you're feeding a consumer amp with RCA ins, you'll have to keep the monitor level pretty low, as that signal is +4 dbU, which is hotter than the RCAs want.

2. To record the mains on a backup recorder. Just use the 2TR RCA outs and connect them to your recorder. If it happens to be a digital recorder (with digial ins) you should be able to use the coaxial digital output instead.

Finally, if your run isn't super long, you might just split the 2TR RCA outs as you suggested. The danger here is that you might get noise on a long run and worse, that the noise might get injected into the external recorder, as it will be in parallel.

If you're already using your monitor outputs for something else, you could do some output patching to assign the stereo main signal to a pair of the "omni outs" as well, and feed the green room from that.

With this mixer, you've got a lot of choices.

Brian.

MarkJensen
Jun 25th, 2006, 07:48 AM
I'll 2nd Brian Gentrys comments and throw in my own...

Splitting a +4 pro signal is done all the time. I consider it only as a last resort since any time you split a signal, you are changing the impedance that the output device sees and there *can* be interaction between the sources. The worst would be that the devices final output stage doesn't like the impedance in a bad way and eventually (sometimes after months or years) decides to blow a final.

Having said that, I've done the same thing countless times and it almost always worked fine for me. I would try to work on a better solution though, if possible.

The main reason I still use an old analog mixer is for signal path diversity. I get 2 main pro outputs on my Mackie. 1 main goes to my Aphex 2020MkIII (post Aphex 230 or AirTools 6200 channel strips) and the other goes to my Dorrough loudness meters and Coleman analog just for pre/post level monitoring and reference monitors. The Dorroughs as well as the Coleman also allow me to series chain using XLR's, so I still have an extra signal path that offers some isolation.

One thing I would not even consider trying is to split, or to run long lengths of hi-z, 10k unbalanced. It's just not designed for that use. You'll run into signal loss and phasing problems if you're lucky and a nasty hum in addition if you aren't.

As always, **just my opinion**; your results may vary

BTW: Nice studio. Have fun and enjoy!

ptfigg
Jun 25th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Paul,

Look for one of these on eBay:

http://www.mackie.com/products/1202vlzpro/

Route the main XLR outputs from the Yamaha to a set of line inputs on the Mackie with XLR to 1/4" balanced cables.

Now you have a host of options:

• Control Room outs
• Two sets of main outs
• Alt 3/4 outs
• Tape outs
• Aux Buses [sends] ... an so on.

The Mackie will act as your source router. Keep in mind you should be able to accomplish this on a limited basis with what you already have. The second mixer provides additional flexibility.

-ptfigg, ny.

Barefoot Radio.com
Jun 27th, 2006, 05:59 AM
Hi, thanks for the suggestions everyone. It helps.

:)