PDA

View Full Version : Can I tell how many people subscribe to my podcast at itunes

tvance929
Feb 13th, 2006, 06:32 PM
How do you guys track how many people are listening to your podcast, and does apple have a way to see how many subscribers you have to your podcast?

ElNacho
Feb 13th, 2006, 06:38 PM
itunes does not

is yer feed burned throo feedburner? If so they give u a subscriber readout

and check with yer server's internal stats for mp3 downloads

r3dk9
Feb 13th, 2006, 06:38 PM
You can't. But I sure wish you could...

ElNacho
Feb 13th, 2006, 06:40 PM
feedburner gives u a "from-itunes" subscriber number, and server stats, at least the ones i have (awstats), give me a number that shows how many downloads are from the "itunes program"

tvance929
Feb 13th, 2006, 06:43 PM
I definetely have aws (I think) on my server stats, but I am using Wordpress for my site, so they do all the feeding.

ElNacho
Feb 13th, 2006, 09:28 PM
okay, look at the stats for yer feed. See how many hits are by itunes

Also u can look at mp3 hits by itunes...actually if u have it all in the same directory (not subdomained) itll just show a big clump of everythin. start hostin and linkin yer mp3s in their own subdomain for enhanced more specific mp3 stats, yo

rumorgirls
Feb 13th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Feedburner is an easy way to do it.

Karla

808Talk
Feb 13th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Also if you are hosting with LibSyn you can get a count of how many downloads are via the iTunes engine. Although it may not be 100% accurate, it does do a fairly good job.

bobbyshakes
Feb 14th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Libsyn is saying 9.800 downloads while feedburner is saying 3,089. That differents is way to big for it to make sense. libsyn stats don't add up. Also i got more hits after i was bumped from apple's top 100. **** the stats and just make up a number.

Hello welcome to the REGGAE CAST we had 2.5 million subscribers yesterday.

ElNacho
Feb 14th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Libsyn is saying 9.800 downloads while feedburner is saying 3,089. That differents is way to big for it to make sense. libsyn stats don't add up. Also i got more hits after i was bumped from apple's top 100. f*ck the stats and just make up a number.

Hello welcome to the REGGAE CAST we had 2.5 million subscribers yesterday.

hehe

but dude i notice u get angry at stats and itunes and all that jazz if u dont understand it. calm down a bit dude.

bobbyshakes
Feb 14th, 2006, 07:55 AM
i'm not angry i'm confused. it doesn't make any sense. maybe this whole podcasting thing is still young. for it to make any sense. maybe podtrac is the cure for the podcasting mayhem.

McLean
Feb 14th, 2006, 08:03 AM
okay, look at the stats for yer feed. See how many hits are by itunes

Look, if you're going to insist on typing in gibberish, at least be consistent.

If you do "yer" for "your", then you have to do "fer" for "for".

It's all I ask.

SFEley
Feb 14th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Libsyn is saying 9.800 downloads while feedburner is saying 3,089. That differents is way to big for it to make sense. libsyn stats don't add up. Also i got more hits after i was bumped from apple's top 100. f*ck the stats and just make up a number.
It does make sense. They're measuring different things:

Feedburner is telling you the number of people who checked your feed in the past 24 hours.

LibSyn is telling you the total number of downloads of the file since you posted it.

That's why one is bigger than the other. Makes sense now, right?

bobbyshakes
Feb 14th, 2006, 09:04 AM
ummm teacher still confused! 9,000 subscribers in 7 days i get that. 3000 subscribers every 24 for the last 7 days i get that. My total should 30,000 or so with DD instead of 9,800. i suck at anything that i have to use my brain. that why i smoke weed ad do a reggae cast.

Sfeley i really got to figure this out.

bobbyshakes
Feb 14th, 2006, 09:06 AM
are those feedbruner stats from an unique ip's

podcastrant.com
Feb 14th, 2006, 09:09 AM
He is not saying subscribers. Anyone that checks your feed i.e. hits update podcasts on their Itunes. Everytime someone does that it checks your feed. Everytime someone looks at your page at a podcasting directory there's another check of your feed.

They could never listen to a sec of your program but they feed was still checked. That's why I think a lot of people that have been around a few months (not incld. you bobby) and tout thousands of listeners are reading this number instead of their mp3 number.

bobbyshakes
Feb 14th, 2006, 09:25 AM
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7087/1198/320/1P.jpg

please explain. i know i know podcasting for dummies.

SFEley
Feb 14th, 2006, 09:28 AM
ummm teacher still confused! 9,000 subscribers in 7 days i get that. 3000 subscribers every 24 for the last 7 days that should be 27,000.
Okay, Bobby. Let's try this one more time.

Many of us run programs, such as iTunes, that check podcast feeds at regular intervals. If I'm subscribed to your feed, I'm likely to check it every day. But I'll only download each file once. If you posted a new file on Tuesday, I'm not going to download it again on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. You'll see one download from me.

Feedburner has nothing to do with downloads. It tells you how many people checked your feed in 24 hours. You can call these people "subscribers" if you like. This doesn't mean they downloaded any of your files -- it just means they used a software program to look at your RSS feed and ask, "Is anything new?" If there was new content, then maybe they downloaded it. If not, maybe they'll check again tomorrow. Not everybody checks every feed every day, which is one reason why you don't get all of your downloads in the first 24 hours.

Libsyn tells you how many downloads you've had. It has nothing to do with "subscribers." It's the number of times your file was grabbed.

Get it yet? Key point: "subscribers" does not equal "downloads." Hits on the feed do not equal grabs of the file.

i suck at anything that i have to use my brain. that why i smoke weed ad do a reggae cast.
Wrong. Negate that ****. Calling yourself stupid doesn't fool me; stupid podcasters don't get 3,000 hits a day. You're just as capable of learning this stuff as anyone else, if you'll quit making excuses and think about it a bit.

podcastrant.com
Feb 14th, 2006, 09:29 AM
er.....

you have an *.xml file for your feed. The number attached to this in your stats has no relevance to the number of your subscribers.

you have the actual *.mp3 file for the individual show and that gives you a better indication of the listeners you have. But then again you have the problem where it includes people who listened for 5mins off of the web and then stopped.

Nothing is a science yet. The best thing to do is to look at the amount of times that the *.mp3 was hit and get an average over a number of shows vs the *.xml

The best way is to dig through your logs, but I don't know a thing about that.

bobbyshakes
Feb 14th, 2006, 09:44 AM
i'm not playing dumb. i have no clue about this rss xml stuff. I import files into garage band then upload it to libsyn. i'm trying to learn it, but right now it seems impossible. i can't even explain podcasting to record labels and market houses. i just give them the password to feeburner and have them figure it out.

p.s the reason why we get 3000 readers is because of the content. not because i'm this podcast brain child.

SFEley
Feb 14th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Okay, well, I tried.

You might also consider posting your question on the Libsyn and Feedburner message boards.

bobbyshakes
Feb 14th, 2006, 12:44 PM
i get it. readers and the "agg" word doesn't mean that people are downloading the feed. i was confusing that with the subscribe button on my podcast.